Monday, August 16, 2004

Bobby's Blast Wins Suzao Cup, 24-23


Julian slides into third
Originally uploaded by wonderbread74.
By Jack Reynolds
San Leandro Times Staff writer

Bobby Costa hit a walk-off three-run homer in the bottom of ninth to lead Team Mexico over Team Portugal, 24-23 in the 2nd Annual Softball Game for Suzie.

"It was the greatest moment in Suzao Cup history!", said Mexican outfielder, Suzie Garcia.

The win was the second straight for the Mexicans who acquired Bobby Costa and his girlfriend, Key Fogelson just minutes before the start of the game.

Three of Team Mexico's players were deported earlier in the morning when a "coyote" spilled the beans to the INS about their whereabouts. Team Mexico acquired the would-be MVP of the 2004 Suzao Cup for a metal Safeway cart full of homemade tamales and a case of Jarritos.

In the top of the ninth, Team Portugal scored two runs to take a 23-21 lead. In the bottom of the inning, Team Portugal quickly retired the first batter before allowing two singles. Bobby Costa came to the plate as the potential game-winning run and delivered a towering blast well over the 20-foot high right field fence to win the game.

"I felt the crowd wanted a spectacular ending so I gave it to them," said Bobby.

It was obvious that Bobby was aiming for the fences to Team Portugal shortstop, Steve Tavares.

"He was definitely angling his stance towards right field, but I wasn't worried because fly balls were dying out there all day."

Apparently, hitting a home run wasn't Team Mexico's strategy.

"Our strategy was to have Bobby play the fence and rely on our base runners to pull off the upset. Little did we know Bobby's mind was set to blast it out of the park," said Suzie Garcia.

Because of the short porch in left field, balls hit over that fence were deemed outs but ruled homers over the much deeper right field fence.

It was a bittersweet ending for Bobby, who played wiffle ball and the baseball exercise "Pickle" with Suzie as a kid, to betray his heritage.

"I felt anguish. I felt upset about being traded. I felt betrayed by my own people. I had to redeem myself," Bobby said, "I could have easily thrown the game, but I was anguished. I wanted to stick a dagger in all their hearts.

Team Portugal has now lost both editions of the Suzao Cup. Both the trade and its ramifications were on Team Portugal's mind.

"We felt generous. We helped them. We gave them our star player," said second baseman Milton Costa.

Team Portugal catcher, Julian Tavares added "We played with a lot of heart. If it was about heart we would have won one million to zero."

Others wanted to pin the blame on the embattled rookie outfielder/third baseman, Herbie Tavares. Herbie who is embroiled in the BALCO steroid scandal had some interesting moments in the field.

"Herbie lost the game for us! He made 5 errors and gave those guys 10 runs!" said team president, Carlos Tavares.

Retired Team Portugal first baseman, Danny Tavares said, "We sucked the big linguica today."

Herbie, being the only lefty in the game, played with a right handed glove. With little success he tried to field groundballs with the glove and transfer the ball to his left hand by tugging the mitt off and tucking it under his oversized arms.

When asked what Suzie would think about her team losing again Milton Costa said, "She's saying 'Wow! Herbie's on steroids.'"

In the winners locker room, Team Mexico's Suzie Garcia applauded the team's efforts.

"With four women, three men and an eight -year old on our team, the odds were definitely against us. Bobby and Key came through for us." she added, "We held our trophy up high and remembered why we were all there".

12 comments:

MrYosemite said...

Good stuff bro, makes me wish that I had gone. Maybe next year I'll have my own team and we can have a mini-tournament. However, "Team Whitie" would need to play it's games in the early morning or late evening, otherwise we'd turn into "Team Pink". Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy pink, if you know what I mean.

Go Whities!
http://www.bluecorncomics.com/stype236.htm

Anonymous said...

Is that a naked thirdbaseman in the photo above?

Anonymous said...

What's going on? Steve's my Baby Daddy! I've been dating him for the last year. You're two months late on your child support, by the way!

Anonymous said...

Ok, enough is enough. Steve, you better tell everyone who your REAL GIRLFRIEND IS!!!!???? I would reveal myself but I am a lover not a fighter. Steve surely knows this!

M. Santos said...

Ouch- to pryncess711 - Sorry for the no show- but I tried to tell Stevo that the statute of limitations is up in October- until then,I can't go north od 237- Little Stevie- I promise- in November I take you to the circus.

M. Santos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M. Santos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M. Santos said...

Ouch- to pryncess711 - Sorry for the no show- but I tried to tell Stevo that the statute of limitations is up in October- until then,I can't go north od 237- Little Stevie- I promise- in November I take you to the circus.

M. Santos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M. Santos said...

Ouch- to pryncess711 - Sorry for the no show- but I tried to tell Stevo that the statute of limitations is up in October- until then,I can't go north of 237- Little Stevie- I promise- in November I take you to the circus.

M. Santos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Income tax connecticut How to flush honda radiator Malpractice tennessee Humidifier baby cheapest deals http://www.h26rcustomcabinets.info free pop up blocker 1998 cabin air filter Women with small breasts Bmw tow hooks Cosmetic surgery prices dallas Hold em rules high card diet pills didrex 3 month supply cheap